One of my kids is learning to drive. He doesn’t like it much, and didn’t drive at all for a while. (That’s okay with me. I don’t push my kids to comply with societal expectations.) Today, he got back on the road. He did fine, but felt scared. And then felt dumb for being scared. And then said something that moved me – “I guess it’s not dumb. I have a right to have fear. I just don’t need to have fear.”
We humans have a right to feel fear, along with all the other emotions. But we don’t need to carry our fears around forever. Recognizing and honoring our fears can help us to release them. That way, they no longer hold us back.
So how do you release a fear? My go-to method is tapping. Here’s a super simple process:
- Gently tap on any of the tapping points (see image below).
- Say “I release my fear of (whatever scares you).” Repeat this as many times as you’d like.
- Stop tapping and take a deep breath.
- Release the breath while letting go of the fear.
- Repeat the process as needed until you feel the fear start to loosen its hold on you.
If you give this a try, let me know how it works for you!
The Tapping Points: